Big Load of Tires and Tubes to Crumb Rubber for Recycling
Largest load yet! 800 pounds of used tubes and tires. I am getting better at packing the truck.
Some key learnings if you are considering recycling tires and tubes at your bike store:
- It will cost you. Mostly in storage, gas and time, but Crumb Rubber also charges. This load was $17 and change.
- Clip old tubes. Even a little air will greatly increase volume for packing.
- Try not to clip slime tubes.
- Remove tubes from tires. They compress easier.
- Load tubes first as they nearly self level like they were liquid.
- Stack tires on top, stand on to compress, fill gaps with more tubes and smaller tires.
- They don't really want to fly out, but I lash with straps.
- Break law. It is illegal to transport used tires without a hazardous waste permit.
- Have lunch in Compton. It softens the blow that you spent half a day dealing with used tubes and tires.